Wednesday 30 April 2008

10 Most Controversial Adverts of 2007

During my usual morning browse on the BBC website, checking the weather for my mum and Anne's visit tomorrow and catching up on the latest news I see that on the most read column is a list of the top 10 most controversial ads of 2007, the ones clocking up the most complaints that year.

those of you that know me will know I love adverts, and get stupidly excited when new ones come out (just a few weeks ago my sister texted me the confusing message of "sa" and just when I was about to reply with "whaa?" she replies with "cla" making my week!)

Anyway, the list this year comprises of

1. NHS "don't get hooked" anti smoking campaign
- I usually don't like the unpleasant shocky adverts for things that don't apply to me for example the horrific driving ones (being a motorist now I can't complain about them anymore) but these ads were effective. however I do feel that they were controversial and complain worthy definately so against number 2

2. Trident gum ad
- The one with the caribbean poet talking about gum. I loved that ad, it was awesome! (Probably on visit4info if you wanna watch it) apparently it was stereotyping. would they prefer an all-white cast? we have caribbean people here, and I don't think they are particularly stereotyped as poets. besides, its quite a nice stereotype to have. Its better than being a chav! and you can get killed for being a goth these days too!

3. Rustlers
- Okay, so transforming a rather conservative-looking girl into a sex-machine in her underwear with one spin of a sofa is a little offensive. But its old news. we've seen it all before!

I could go on with the rest of the list, but its all as petty as the rest

however, looking at the 774 people who complained about the ad in the top spot and the 2465 people who complained in total, I think we can afford to piss off the minority. bring on ever more controversial adverts, lets see how far we can push the boundaries and not leave all the controversial glory for the NHS and other public services.

better still, make them more interesting or funny. whatever happened to the old style fun adverts...


5 days 5 hours 15 minutes...

No comments: